Monday, June 10, 2013

Round Two

Well, yesterday was rather productive for us. I transplanted all of my seeds into the now lined and filled boxes, transplanted the purchased sweet potatoes and started the next batch of seeds in the starter green houses. It was a lot more work than it sounds like and involved every member of the family: my father and husband moved dirt and my mother brought us drinks. :) We now have two above ground beds full of seeds or seedlings and the larger, raised bed is half-way full.

Above Ground Beds:

In the first bed we have Arugula, Mache, Watercress, Carots, Radishes, & Scallions.
In the second bed we have Nodding Onion, Rat Tail Radish, Bunching Onion, & Bush Bean.

Raised Bed:

There are two sections to this large garden bed. Each is 4'x4' but the front bed is only 10" deep and the back bed is about 22" deep.

In the front bed we have (right now) Cherry Bell Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, and Spacemaster Cucumbers.

In the back bed we have (right now) two Sweet Potato plants. I also ran some twine around the posts to give the potatoes and cucumbers a place to run up.

I also started the next batch of seeds in the greenhouses. They should be ready for transplant by the time we get the next box built and set-up.
  • Bush Bean Bountiful (yes, more)
  • Spaghetti Squash
  • Nodding Onion (yes, more)
  • Echinacea
  • Borage
  • Hidcote Dwarf Lavender
  • Poppy Hungarian Blue Bread Seed
  • Pea Shelling Progress #9
  • Corn Sweet Luscious
I also (told you I was busy) Purchased a mature Purslane plant (edible and pretty!) and two Coleus "Under the Sea" plants which are just cool looking. I'm planning on putting them and the three Spider Lily bulbs in the corner next to the pool.

Coleus

Purslane
The Purslane I'm planning on putting in a hanging pot as they as an invasive species.

Still to do:
  • Transplant the Banana tree to the garden zone
  • Move the coleus and purslane to the out side patio
  • Add drip lines to the three garden beds
  • Buy another batch of peat pots for the greenhouse
  • Buy a hanging pot for the patio
  • Start building the last two above ground beds
  • Start building the fence and trellis
Not too much, right? LOL

At the moment, I'm close to my budget of $500 for the garden. I've got about $45 left that I can spend, so I need to be careful of what I purchase. $20 will go to the pots and hanging basket which will leave about $25 for trellis and fence supplies which doesn't seem like much, but I think I will have enough lumber and previously cut trellis to do most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment